After that crest, Sock plummeted. At his first tournament of the new season, in Auckland, New Zealand, he was defending champion. But his play was so lackluster that it spurred discussion of revoking his appearance fee. His record of 5-14 this year includes only one win over a top-50 player: 38th-ranked David Ferrer. Sock has lost four times to players outside the top 100.
He does not seem eager to discuss it at the moment. Though he was requested for post-match media obligations on Tuesday, Sock left the All England Club without appearing. His manager, Mary Jane Orman, said he left the site without being approached by one of the tournament’s media coordinators and was unaware that he had been requested by reporters.
His absence most likely avoided a repeat of his terse news conference after his first-round loss at the French Open.
Asked how momentum shifted in the match, Sock answered, “The scoreboard changed.”
Sock didn’t have any explanation for why his year had been disappointing.
“It’s been a really bad year, obviously,” he said. “Yeah, I don’t know. Pretty lost right now.”
Sock is still ranked 15th because of the cache of ranking points he got at the end of last season, but he is 146th in the year-to-date rankings. He is likely to fall further after Wimbledon.
After the French Open, Sock parted with his coach, Jay Berger, and began working with Mark Knowles, a Bahamian who won three Grand Slam doubles titles.
Despite his struggles in singles, Sock has continued to succeed in doubles, winning three titles this year. Doubles play has seemed to come more naturally to him throughout his career, and is less demanding physically.